Let’s be honest, our current situation (i.e. COVID-19) has certainly put the woes into spring golf for those who may be at risk or are not comfortable leaving the house. The good news is that its not all bad. There are so many ways to practice your game while off the green. Carter Murchison, director of golf for Santa Rosa Golf & Beach Club has the cure for your golf swing this spring.
At one time or another, all golfers attempt to improve their golf swings regardless of their skill level. This can be a daunting and confusing task in the best of circumstances. Consider the following tips on how to modify or change your swing in the most efficient/quickest way. Make sure you understand the change or modification that you are attempting.
1) Visual feedback is imperative…if you don’t have access to video, using a mirror is a great way to show your body the changes you are attempting to make. This can be both at address and/or during the swing.
2) Once you can see the position you are trying to create, try to feel the position.
3) Armed with a feel of the position, set up (without a golf ball) and make your swing with the feel that you have created.
4) Now it’s time to create an environment that gives you the best chance to make the swing change…. which is not typically on the golf course. Always give yourself good lies. Tee the golf ball up, if need be, with the goal of keeping your mind on the swing feel change and not on trying to hit the golf ball (a swing change killer). In the case of those practicing at home, imagine your ball.
5) Slow the pace of your swing WAY down. Swinging at a slower pace gives you the chance to create and feel the change you are trying to make. You can always speed up the swing when you get more comfortable with the change.
6) Once you begin to create change, correct repetition is important. At this point, it doesn’t matter how much or how little you practice. It matters that you are doing your best to be correct with each swing that you make.
Have questions? Email Carter at email@example.com.